[Asterisk-Users] Re: Confusion with IAX PBX-PBX

Matt Lawson matt at 1control.com
Tue Feb 24 08:06:47 MST 2004

You can have it accept "unauthenticated" calls from anywhere, if you
wish, or you can have it require a password.  The password is the
"secret" field.  The username is the context heading "othermachine-1".
 If no "secret" is defined, it will accept incoming calls from anywhere.

Besides iax.conf you also need to look at extensions.conf.  It is there
that the rules are setup telling which machine to dial under what
circumstances.  For Example,

Assume the name of this machine is "othermachine-0"

[going-to-other-machines]
exten => _71.,1,Dial,IAX2/othermachine-0 at othermachine-1/${EXTEN:2}
exten => _72.,1,Dial,IAX2/othermachine-0 at othermachine-2/$(EXTEN:2}

This would set up a dialing rule so that if you dialed "711234" it would
call extension "1234" on othermachine-1.
Similarly, "725678" would dial "5678" on othermachine-2.

othermachine-1 and -2 would have to have definitions in iax.conf, as you
suggested, and "othermachine-0" would have to be defined in the other
two servers (but not on itself).

What those lines are saying is "If a number starts with 71, dial the
extension number (except leave off the first two digits, the "71"
itself) on othermachine-1.  Tell othermachine-1 that my name is
othermachine-0."

Look at some example config files on voip-info.org