[Asterisk-Users] OT: SNOM and TAPI

Peer Oliver schmidt posde at theinternet.de
Tue Feb 24 03:17:33 MST 2004

Andy Powell wrote:
>>>Snom  TAPI integration is a joke...
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating a bit on this? Is the future implemented,
>> but does not work, or is it not implemented at all? Or something
>> else?

> The feature isn't really implemented.. you can install the 'driver'
> but you only get the ability to dial, no real status information etc...
[..]
>the app also allows me to click sip: uri's which it will dial...

Thanks for the clearification.

I am not concerned with dialing out, but more with dialing in. Dialing
out is POC with asterisk, and we have already implemented that using the
manager interface and some PHP code.

But the real killer, IMHO, of TAPI lies in the notification your
application receive upon incoming calls. This decade old "vision", of a
call coming in, and all caller related information is popping up on the
screen, this is what I am after. Currently I am testing a small
embeddable Java Applet on the client, and a small AGI on the server
together with some PHP code.

However, the drawback is, you have to implement this for each and every
application, instead of having a standard that would work, at least with
basic functionality, with a whole set of applications. I really like the
concept of logging into "a" workstation, authenticating myself, and
every call I receive will work with whatever CRM system that supports a
specific API.

I guess I should go back to bed and continue dreaming, or maybe change
what I smoke...

rgds
pos