[Asterisk-Users] Processor load spikes

Patrick idefix at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 23 11:19:00 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 18:42, mattf wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I plan on trying Slackware on my backup/test
> asterisk server when I have a new backup server ready in a few weeks. I've
> noticed in some database machine testing that Slackware starts up in about
> half the time of RedHat and doesn't have all of that Redhat junk either.
> I'll post my results running Slackware after I've had time to test it.
>
> When I said crashed I meant that the whole operating system crashed, so no
> backtrace possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MATT---

Hi Matt,

My RH9 box has never crashed although on some others running RH9 I've
seen load spikes also. The only similar situation I vaguely remember
from long ago was either related to using a T400P/E400P card on a
motherboard with the incorrect pci slot voltage or to a power supply
that couldn't cope with the extra load. Don't recall exactly anymore so
could be wrong but maybe worth keeping in mind.

I always do the following on a RH9 box:

* export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 before you start asterisk.
  Alternatively you can build a plain vanilla 2.4.2x kernel from
  kernel.org and use that one

* turn off all unnecessary cron jobs. updatedb can have quite a
  field day with eating up I/O and keeping disks pretty busy and
  iirc you may want to turn off the fam service also

* turn off all unnecessary services and remove all unnecessary
  modules from /etc/modules.conf

If you find the cause, please let us know.

Good luck,
Patrick