[Asterisk-Users] Thread-safe applications

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Feb 23 10:29:54 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 11:22, Ernest W. Lessenger wrote:
> At 09:14 AM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
> >Why would you program something that isn't thread safe? From what I can
> >tell, it isn't much extra effort to do things the right way instead of
> >debuging crap later.
>
> I wouldn't, and generally don't. But sometimes (rarely) you need to include
> functions that aren't thread-safe (ex. specialized operations from vendors
> who charge a lot of money for poorly-written APIs) and it's good to know
> what the requirements are.

Remember that in asterisk we are working with a GPL piece of software.
We shouldn't run into the vendor supplied poorly written APIs unless it
is for in house work only. Remember that any inclusion of non free
software into asterisk requires you either be able to make the software
free or it can not be redistributed as part of the software.

So if you want anything to become part of the main asterisk tree, it
should be thread-safe and free, not to mention the obligatory disclaimer
to Digium.