[Asterisk-Users] Re: Not Woodpeckers

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 23 07:42:20 MST 2004

Jose Quinteiro wrote:
> I live at sea level, and have never seen a woodpecker going at any telco
> equipment, but have a 60Hz hum on my POTS line through my Adtran 750.
>
> It goes away if I pick up the telephone I have cross-connected on the
> same line.  Could it be the same problem (i.e., tip-ring imbalance?)
>
> Thanks,
> Jose.

Lots of phones used to have a separate (3rd) ground wire delivered to
the phone which was used in party line set ups. When very young, I
discovered that connecting a phone tip to ground or ring to ground would
result in a fabulous hum. I suspect that you have inadvertently
connected one of the phones tip to ground or ring to ground.

Stephen R. Besch