[Asterisk-Users] Re: How to best debug SIP registration failure (Solved)

George Pajari George.Pajari at Faximum.com
Mon Feb 23 03:25:35 MST 2004

Thank you to Olle Johansson, Philipp von Klitzing, and others who
suggested approaches to the problem.

To summarise what we did and how we ended up solving the problem:

Situation:
  1. Grandstream phone behind NAT box.
  2. Asterisk not behind NAT (with static IP).
  3. Phone cannot register.

Problem diagnosis:

1. Tested phone with FWD (http://www.pulver.com/fwd/) and was able to
register and run echo test successfully. This indicates we have NAT
configured properly and know enough about configuring the phone to have
  some hope to get it working with Asterisk

2. Ran asterisk with verbose debuggery and "sip debug".

3. Ran tcpdump and tethereal to see what packets were arriving and
departing the Asterisk server.

4. Ran netstat to verify that something was listening on the appropriate
ports on the Asterisk box.

What we found:

(a) tcpdump and tethereal saw traffic from phone but nothing from Asterisk.

(b) "sip debug" reported nothing at all.

Putting all of the above together we were left with a number of
hypothesises the most likely of which was that the registration packets
(which we could see arriving on the net) were being blocked and not
being seen by Asterisk.

Further research revealed that the system had iptables that were
blocking the ports needed.

Once we reconfigured the iptables, things worked fine.

Sorry to have troubled the list and thank you for helping me towards
discovering the solution (and providing valuable advice that will no
doubt be invaluable in diagnosing future problems).

g.