[Asterisk-Users] 7960 - multiple lines - sip.conf

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Feb 22 04:59:09 MST 2004

> Digging around on google the other night, I found an example sip.conf for
> cisco 7960's with multiples lines, but have quickly forgotten where it was,
> and didn't bookmark it.
>
> Would someone be kind enough to post a link to this if they know where it's
> at, or post an example sip.conf that they know is working for multiple lines
> on the 7960 ?

Here's one way to do it...

In sip.conf, include:
[3006]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3006
secret=mypassword
context=from-sip
mailbox=3006

[3007]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3007
secret=mypassword
context=from-sip
mailbox=3007

In the SIP00036xxxxx.cnf file that is loaded by the phone from your tftp server,
include matching entries something like:
# Line 1 appearance
line1_name: 3006
# Line 1 Registration Authentication
line1_authname: 3006
# Line 1 Registration Password
line1_password: mypassword
# Line 2 appearance
line2_name: 3007
# Line 2 Registration Authentication
line2_authname: 3007
# Line 2 Registration Password
line2_password: mypassword

If you don't tftp load the 7960 each time it reboots, then find the equivalent
menu options for the above entries and program them manually.

In this example, the 7960 registers the two lines with asterisk independently
using each line's authname & password. If that is not happening for you, then
from the asterisk CLI, do a "sip debug" and find the root-cause.

Also ensure the 7960 really is running SIP code and not the default Cisco
proprietary code. To do that from the 7960 front panel, press "settings",
"status", "Firmware Versions" and look for the "Application Load ID" line.
It should read POS3-06-0-00 where the "6" indicates v6 code. The POS3 indicates
it's running the SIP code. (If you are running non-SIP code and want to change
it to SIP, you'll need a Cisco account to legally download the appropriate code.)

If you run SIP v6 code on the 7960, then you can also program one or more of
the six line buttons to be a speeddial key. To do that from the front panel,
press the "settings" button, then "Call Preferences", "Speed Dial Lines",
"Line 6" (if that's the button you want programmed), and enter a name in the
"Label:" field and the number to be called in the "Number:" field.

Given all of the above, if you press the Line 2 button, outgoing calls will
be made from the "Line 2" definitions.

If you want call roll over (line #2 rings if line #1 is busy), then you'll
need to program your specific needs in extensions.conf to accomplish that.

Rich