[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Users] SIP config documentation

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Feb 21 14:39:37 MST 2004

Costa Tsaousis wrote:

>>Sorry, I was on the wrong topic, canreinvite has
>>yes|no|update as keywords.
>>with UPDATE a SIP method UPDATE is initiatied to change the media path.
>>with YES, a new INVITE is issued within the current call. (a "re-invite")
>>with NO, the call stays within asterisk.
>

> Sorry for asking this, but in practice, what does these mean?
> (yes I know I should look at the FRC... :)
Me too :-)

> Olle, I think it is a mater of prioritization. If you put the switched
> world in the first priority, yes we should keep numbers. If you put SIP
> first, then we should use e-mail like addresses. After some time there
> might be another protocol, say XYZ. If you put XYZ first, then you should
> choose the method this protocol uses, etc.
Well, Asterisk is what it is today. My goal is to make it work in a
SIP world together with a SIP proxy. I'm not making the decision on what
Asterisk is going to be, I'm trying to understand the idea behind it
and follow it.
> This is my case today. I want SIP as primary and I know I will have to
> provide numeric callerids in the configuration when interfacing with other
For me, I have alphanumeric extensions with numeric aliases as secondary
in extensions.conf.

> I agree with you, but still I think all these should be configuration
> decisions, not implementation ones.
I fully agree. Right now, it isn't. It's open for all by default.

/O :-)