[Asterisk-Users] Are IAX2 providers ready for prime time?

Jean-Marc V. Liotier jim at jipo.com
Fri Feb 20 12:23:22 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 17:48, Warren H. Prince wrote:

> > I am starting to get a bad feeling about VoIP providers. They seem
> > like really, really small outfits. Realistically, is the service
> > provided by VoIP providers reliable and stable? Can you bet your
> > business on it? How often does it go down?

Monitoring the VOIP providers in order to build an availability
benchmark is going to be done by someone sooner or later in the same way
it is being done for Internet access providers : someone buys an account
with each provider and make various calls at slightly random intervals,
gathering data as they go. That's about all there is to it, and you get
approximative but usable availability statistics. As far as ISP are
concerns, there is a major IT magazine in France that publishes a
monthly availability and performance benchmark done exactly that way.
How long before the same things happens for VOIP providers ? Mmmm...
Asterisk, Cacti, a couple of scripts... Sounds feasible quite cheaply.