[Asterisk-Users] Are IAX2 providers ready for prime time?

Warren H. Prince wprince at unconundrum.com
Fri Feb 20 09:48:22 MST 2004

Jim Archer wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> I have been putting together a call center and I was hoping to use a
> VoIP provider who can terminate IAX2.  A participant here has been
> kind enough to help me off list, for which I am grateful.  I have
> called two VoIP providers, Coloco and NuFone.  Coloco has yet to
> return my calls and although I spoke with someone at NuFone yesterday,
> today when I tried to call to get service I got several "all circuits
> are busy" messages. Calling on the non-toll free number I left voice
> mail, but got no call back, or response to my email.
>
> I looked at Voice Pulse, but have read here that there are issues with
> reliability.  They also seem set up for end user consumers, as do a
> few others.
>
> So I am starting to get a bad feeling about VoIP providers.  They seem
> like really, really small outfits.  Realistically, is the service
> provided by VoIP providers reliable and stable?  Can you bet your
> business on it?  How often does it go down?

Jim, we're in the process of building a business application, and are
reviewing providers as well.  While we haven't selected one, or found
one we're really happy with, our approach is going to be to set up
fail-over capabilities where a pots line can be seized if the iax
provider is unavailable....  I would think this will greatly improve
"system" reliability, but not the reliability of the provider....