[Asterisk-Users] RE: codec negotiation prob solved

T. Chan tommy.chan at utimail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:47:33 MST 2004

I have the same problem, most carriers out there deal with both g723.1 or
g729. During passing through via Asterisk, carrier customers will send us
calls broadcasting both codecs with one having priority over the other, the
way it is supposed to work is that asterisk will try to negotiate the top
priority codec first with the terminating endpoint, assuming that the
originating endpoint broadcasts g729 as first priority and then g723.1,
Asterisk should take g729 and try to negotiate with terminating endpoint and
if the terminating takes g729, then the call should be patched and bridged,
but if the terminating endpoint takes ONLY g723.1, then Asterisk should then
endpoint) and bridge the call through. However, the way Asterisk is doing it
is if I allow both g723.1 and g729, then if the originating endpoint
broadcasts both codecs and the terminating endpoint only allows g723.1, then
the call will not go through and it will say no path from g729 to ....., and
calls will not go through.

Summing up, if originating gateway allows both g723.1 and g729 , Asterisk
being the pass-through entity, allows both codecs, and the terminating
gateway allows ONLY g723.1, the calls will not go through which is certainly
a bug in the asterisk.

I wonder if anyone out there has any solution to this problem.

TC