[Asterisk-Users] faxing with asterisk

Stephen Bradwell sbradwell at isense.ca
Thu Feb 19 12:11:46 MST 2004

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would mind giving me an example of how to
configure a fax machine with asterisk. We would ideally like to have 2
fax extensions configured, one is a modem for faxing the other is an
actual fax machine. I'm not sure if I should configure them as standard
extensions or if they should be in their own context or what. The user
guide doesn't seem to talk about faxing so any help is greatly
appreciated. I'm confused about contexts and signaling (fxo fxs) and how
they effect faxing.

I have tried many configurations in extensions.conf and Zapata.conf.
Here is an example of our part of our extensions.conf file......

[globals]
FAX=Zap/13

[default]
include => voicemail
include => phones
include => functions
include => pbxsupport

include => incomingfax

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,3,ResponseTimeout,10
exten => s,4,Background(std-welcome)
exten => 0,1,Macro(stdexten,200,${RINGOUT})
exten => 1,1,Macro(stdexten,201,${ACCESSSERVICES})
exten => 1,2,Goto,default|s|4
exten => 3,1,Macro(stdexten,205,${SOFTWARE})
exten => 3,2,Goto,default|s|4
exten => 4,1,Macro(stdexten,205,${INFRASTRUCTURE})
exten => 4,2,Goto,default|s|4
exten => 5,1,Macro(stdexten,202,${PDAMOBILE})
exten => 5,2,Goto,default|s|4
exten => 8,1,Background(std-directory)

exten => fax,1,Goto,incomingfax|s|1

exten => #,1,Hangup
exten => t,1,Goto(#,1)
exten => i,1,Playback(invalid)
exten => o,1,Macro(stdexten,200,${RINGOUT})

[incomingfax]
exten => s,1,Dial(${FAX},30,d)
exten => s,2,Hangup

Zapata.conf ......