[Asterisk-Users] Red Alarms and mysterious disconnects

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Feb 18 12:25:59 MST 2004

There have been several posts regarding red alarms and mysterious
dropped calls. We started having similar problems several days ago,
after the cleaning people had been in the server room. I carefully
examined all the hardware and could find nothing superficially wrong.
However, since physically moving the channel bank would generate
occasional red alarms, I pulled out the cables and looked at the
connectors under a dissecting microscope (one of the advantages of
working in a Biophysics lab is that I have such things handy).  What I
found was a microscopic nick through the insulation of one of the
twisted pairs, which had apparently been caused by the cable insulation
cutter when the cable was made.  The cleaning staff, by inadvertently
moving the cable, made a hairline crack in the wire and rendered the
connection unreliable.

Interestingly, the cable had functioned perfectly for many months (as
the cut was only partially through the wire). It also continued to test
OK with an ohmmeter, even when the cable was tugged and twisted.  Also,
the cut was NOT visible with the naked eye. The lesson? Well, the first
thing I will check from now on is the wiring, especially when mysterious
things are happening to me that are not happening to everyone else.  The
bad news is that this kind of thing can be almost impossible to find.  I
consider myself really lucky.

Stephen R. Besch