[Asterisk-Users] Cell Phones and Tone Recognition

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Feb 18 07:59:31 MST 2004

Hi Brian,

DTMF from a cell phone is rather different from DTMF from a land line,
but not in any way that usually makes a difference. The cell phone
codecs cannot carry DTMF properly, so the phone tells the base station,
by a message, that a particular key is being pressed. The base station
then sends the DTMF tones. The timing of the tones is totally divorced
from what you actually press on the cell phone. This badly affects input
methods based on the timing of the DTMF, but for most purposes it
doesn't make a lot of difference.

Regards,
Steve