[Asterisk-Users] two UA with the same usr/pwd

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Feb 18 00:26:44 MST 2004

Jeff wrote:
> 1. Two SIP phones can login to FWD at the same time with the same
> username/pwd , is this  normal?

Ed explained this.

> 2. can Two SIP phones  login to * at the same time with the same
> username/pwd ? how to prevent this?
Well, a SIP proxy normally allows this. Asterisk is not a SIP proxy by
design, it's a PBX. As a multi-protocol PBX, the design is quite different
and sometimes there has to be compromises to make functions work cross-
channels, to use Asterisk terminology.

One of these is that we only handle one SIP registration per SIP peer/user.
If you want several phones to ring on one extension, this is defined in
the dialplan, not on a SIP level. Otherwise, the PBX core wouldn't really
know how many phones that where ringing and what happened out there.

If you configure two phones to register with Asterisk using the same
SIP account, you will see that the IP address of that SIP peer will
change now and then.

There will be no error message when phone #2 registers, only
the last registration is valid.

Maybe we should
* Add a warning if a re-registration for a SIP account changes IP address

/O