[Asterisk-Users] codec negotiation

dkwok dkwok at iware.com.au
Wed Feb 18 00:29:48 MST 2004

I have outgoing connection to iaxtel and another iax server A.

iax server A only accept g729 codec while iaxtel is something I am not
quite sure of. At the moment iaxtel only accepts gsm. I remember
previously it does accept g729.

my problem due to the switching between codec when making outgoing calls
to these servers.

my iax.conf has these lines:

[general]

disallow=all
allow=gsm
allow=g729

I believe the general context define the codec to be used when making
outgoing calls. The peer context below general context is to governed
codec to be used for incoming calls. Is this correct?

now if I specificly disallow g729 in the general context I can make
calls to iaxtel. however i cannot make calls to server A as it only
accepts g729. After I allow g729, I can make call to server A but the
call made to iaxtel cannot go through.

The console indicates that the call is accepted by iaxtel using codec
729A, then it says the circuit is too busy.

Is there a clever way of governing the codec use for each outgoing
connection in order to avoid the issue in codec negotiation?

--
David Kwok

Iaxtel/FWD # 17001813482 ext 1002