[Asterisk-Users] Re: Double digits seen using Grandstream phones

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 17 10:14:41 MST 2004

Rana Dutt wrote:

> My attempts to use voice mail from my Grandstream Budgetone 101 phone always
> fail because Asterisk is seeing either double digits or dropped digits, no
> matter what dtmfmode setting I try. Here is what happens for each mode:
>
> dtmfmode=info, phone set to send INFO 101: every digit is seen double, e.g.
> 123 is seen as 112233
>
> dtmfmode=rfc2833, phone set to RFC2833: some digits are doubled in random
> places, e.g., 123 is sometimes seen as 1123, sometimes as 1233
>
> dtmfmode=inband, phone set to send in-audio: some digits are dropped, e.g.,
> 123 becomes 23 or 12
>
> I have upgraded the firmware in my phones to 1.0.4.46 and Asterisk is a CVS
> from 2/1/04. The codec in the phones is set to PCMU (ulaw) as first
> preference, and the sip.conf has disallow=all followed by allow=ulaw for
> each phone. Early dial is turned off.
>
> Can anyone help me? Thanks,
>
> -Ron

Many of us have had these problems at one time or another with GS and
the solutions have been more or less the ones you've tried. In my
experience, either inband or info works, providing that everything is
configured correctly. The only suggestion I have is that you double and
triple check that the entries in sip.conf and those on the phone are in
perfect sync before testing. That is, make sure that "dtmfmode=xxxx"
matches the setting on the phone, etc. Before you give up on any
combination, reboot the phone and restart * (don't just reload).

For reference, here is a typical entry from my sip.conf:

[exten100]
type=friend
context=international
callerid="Nattily Dressed" <888-8888 100>
username=Natty
host=192.168.0.100 ;or dynamic, as required
dtmfmode=inband	 ;or rfc2833 or info, as required
secret=Illnevertell
qualify=5000
mailbox=100
canreinvite=no	;As long as the phones are NAT'ed

By the way, contrary to many posts on this list, I have

disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw

appearing only once in the general section and all (22) of my phones and
HT-286's work perfectly - just another one of those great * mysteries I
guess.

Stephen R. Besch