[Asterisk-Users] cannot find -lXext when building * ?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Feb 17 11:16:57 MST 2004

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> You have GTK installed, but not X?  If you don't intend to
> run X applications on the server, then deinstall GTK (as the
> X libraries are required to run GTK apps).

This leads to a question that has been bugging us for a while.

Is X required to build asterisk?  When we tried to do so on machines
that didn't have any X libraries installed, we would get errors at link
time building pbx.c

If we removed the lines that called for those libraries, asterisk would
build, but then other weirdnesses would ensue and we finally just
started installing the X libraries even though we will never run X on
those boxes (low-end servers talking to one or two channels).

Could anyone comment on "the right way to do it?"  It's got to be either
me or the code :-)

Thx.

b.