[Asterisk-Users] Wifi Phones

Jonathan Moore moorejon at usd465.com
Mon Feb 16 20:10:01 MST 2004

I am also going to share this with the list since it may be helpful for other
Wisip/* users out there.

There are two tricks that I discovered in getting the Wisip to work with *. The
first thing is to go into the Wisip's web config and select the SW/Update
section. There will be an entry for a tftp server. This is tricky because it
looks like an entry to get software updates but it is actually a tftp config
file loader. As with many other entries in the wisip it will not allow you to
put a blank entry. Just put in an fake entry and it works fine. If you don't do
this you will find that no matter how many times you reenter your settings you
will lose all the sips settings on each bootup :-). Note that this will be an
issue even if you explicitly ordered the phone without a FWD config. Even though
they offer the option on the order form they call come configured this way. The
second trick is to change the outgoing proxy port from the fwd/wisip default to
5060. Otherwise it is a pretty standard sip setup. Here is the entry from my
sip.conf file. If you don't have a G.729 licence then you need to switch the
settings to uLaw or aLaw in the codec. Also make sure you match up the dtmf
settings.

[wisip]
type=friend
secret=blah
host=dynamic
context=local
dtmfmode=rfc2833
callerid="Joe Schmoe" <9999>
nat=yes
qualify=1000

When you get it going please compare notes on functionality. So far I am finding
the Wisip likes my brand new Cisco AP1100 a lot more than either an airport or
linksys ap. This could however be wep as my new Ap doesn't have that setup yet.
I also noticed that the volume level varies considerably depending on how you
place the phone next to your ear. It really needs to be lined up just right.
Once I got connected with the cisco and everything running, and the phone placed
correctly against my ear I had one really clear 20 minute call with the unit
while I roamed around the building. The range was really pretty good.

--
Jonathan Moore
Director of Technology