[Asterisk-Users] Speech between Grandstream phones sounds like talking under water

Rana Dutt rdutt at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 10:05:36 MST 2004

When I make a simple phone call from one Budgetone 101 to another, the
speech sounds slurred and slow, sort of like the person is talking under
water. Both phones and the Asterisk server are on the same subnet.

Both phones are configured to use the PCMU (ulaw) codec as first choice, and
the Voice Frames per TX parameter is set to 2.  Incidentally, if I directly
IP dial from one phone to the other (bypassing Asterisk) the speech sounds
excellent.

I'm running a CVS build from Feb. 1, 2004, and there is a Digium X100P card
with one incoming CO line in my machine.

The first part of my sip.conf looks like this:

[general]
port=5060
binaddr=0.0.0.0
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

[200]
type=friend
username=200
host=dynamic
context=home
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no

[201]
type=friend
username=201
host=dynamic
context=home
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no

I turned on sip debug, and noticed the following in the output:

v=0
s=SIP Call
c= IN IP4 192.168.2.29
m= audio 5004 RTP/AVP 0
a=rptmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=ptime:20

Found audio format UNKN
Found description format PCMU
Capabilities: us - 4, them 4/0, combined - 4
Non-codec capabilities: us - 1, them - 0, combined 0

Does anyone know why this could be happening? Thanks,

Ron