[Asterisk-Users] Voip in the EU

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Feb 16 17:42:20 MST 2004

Iain Stevenson wrote:

> The problem with the Ofcom consultation as I see it is that it seems
> to be regressive wrt to the position now being taken by the FCC.
> There are probably not many more than 250,000 VoB users worldwide so
> now is not the time to impose significant market constraints.

Why do you quote VoB, when the use of broadband versus other internet
connections is totally arbitrary? The figure you quote seems far too low
for voice over internet (rather than VoIP, since a lot of the IP is on
private nets). I think you will find each of the major producers of
VoIPs phone has produced rather more than that. Business users alone,
dumping their PBXs, must accounts for millions of lines by now. Some of
that traffic goes branch to branch over private nets, but they do a lot
of interconnecting with the PSTN too.

Regards,
Steve