[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk for a call center?

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Mon Feb 16 17:30:51 MST 2004

Hi All...

I am using Asterisk successfully in my small office as a fairly ordinary
PBX.  I am quite happy with it.

I have a friend who needs to build a call center.  The call center will be
used to take orders.  I have two big questions.

First, can Asterisk be configured accept calls on a bunch of incoming
lines, answering with a greeting and telling the person that they will be
transferred to the next available operator.  Then, can it watch all the
extensions, and route the calls to these extensions on a first in, first
out basis?  Can operators somehow tell Asterisk they are ready for another
call or are on break?

Second, could I use a VoIP service instead of BRI lines?  I experimented
with iConnect quite a while ago, and the biggest problem I had with it was
that I could only have one line of iConnect.  I expect the software has
improved since then.

Thanks!

Jim