[Asterisk-Users] Voip in the EU

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Mon Feb 16 12:38:15 MST 2004

The problem with the Ofcom consultation as I see it is that it seems to be
regressive wrt to the position now being taken by the FCC.  There are
probably not many more than 250,000 VoB users worldwide so now is not the
time to impose significant market constraints.

The new EU regulatory framework actually imposes very few constraints on
new service providers in emerging markets such as VoIP being based as it is
on the concept of "significant market power (SMP)".  I don't think any
carrier has SMP in VoB so the real issue is the extent to which Ofcom
tinkers in the interpretation of the rules.

Unfortunately they seem to be focusing on the "red herrings" of emergency
service support and lawful intercept - neither of which are of much
interest to users.   Fixed and mobile services already provide acceptable
emergency access.  The real issue is the umbrella topic of Universal
Service Provision and what the impact of VoIP will be on that.

The tone of the Ofcom invitation to the VoB briefing focused on issues that
could limit the market rather than promote it.  Let's hope that the VoB
briefing is followed up by some balanced and broad based consultation.

  Iain

--On Monday, February 16, 2004 5:55 pm +0000 WipeOut