[Asterisk-Users] Voip in the EU

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 16 10:55:42 MST 2004

Linus Surguy wrote:

>>>Does anyone know where I can find some more info on the VoIP laws in the
>>>

>EU?
>

>>VoIP in the EU hasn't been completely sorted centrally (i.e. by the EU
>>parliament), last time they looked at it a few years ago it wasn't
>>perceived to be entranched enough to worry about, I suspect this will
>>change soon.
>>
>>In the UK Oftel put out a guide, which says if you're running VoIP
>>services (i.e. back-end services, so maybe a SIP proxy/registration
>>server or interconnection with the PSTN) you are a Communications
>>Service Provider and covered by the same regulations as a traditional
>>voice provider.
>>

>Just to clarify this from a different direction, Oftel/Ofcom approach these
>things by say that they are 'technology neutral', i.e. as standard they
>don't care how the service is delivered, it is the service that is regulated
>and not the delivery mechanism. This means in theory the rules for VoIP are
>the same for copper, wireless, mobile etc.
>
>Linus

As I understand it that is what the Ofcom VoB discussion next week is
all about..

The standard line telco's have to be required to provide a service in an
emegency eg during a power failure, but this is impossible for a VoIP
provider sine the provider does not have control over the full path or
the electricity supply.. That is only one example where VoIP cannot be
regulated in the same way as standard telephone services..

In my mind there will have to be seperate regulations, there may well be
some common clauses but they will still be seperate regulations..

Later..