[Asterisk-Users] HELP!!!! Having problems Starting Asterisk

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Sun Feb 15 17:03:37 MST 2004

Robert Boardman wrote:
> Tim Sailer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:37:01PM +0000, Robert Boardman wrote:
>>

>>> I have been trying to start asterisk all night after a reboot
>>>
>>> I keep getting this error scrolling up the screen
>>>
>>> ouch: error while writing audio data broken pipe
>>>
>>> when I go to another console there are 4 instances of mpg123  running
>>> and  when I do TOP they are taking 100% CPU between them
>>>
>>> I have re installed mgp123 but it still doesn't help
>>>
>>> any Ideas?

Try commenting out all of the entries in musiconhold.conf.  Then, stop
asterisk.  Then, do a "pstree" from the shell prompt and see if you still
have some "mpg123" processes hanging around.  If you do, do a "killall -9
mpg123" from the shell prompt.

Then, start Asterisk.  Look at the output of "pstree" again and make sure
that mpg123 isn't being started.

Something that I noticed was that there is a new set of mpg123 processes
started for every "class" of musiconhold that you have specified.

Making sure that mpg123 won't start at all will at least isolate if that is
what is preventing Asterisk from starting properly.

John -- who has NEVER been at the console while working with Asterisk but
does have everything I want, including meetme & musiconhold working after
much work.