[Asterisk-Users] Residential Plans for Asterisk Users

Steve Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Tue Feb 10 23:06:56 MST 2004

I raised this issue on the Viop form on dslreports a few weeks ago. It seems
that the providers do not want to sell unlimited minute plans with a direct
SIP connection (sans adapter) to Asterisk users for fraud reasons. They are
concerned that a bunch of Asterisk users will share the same access password
and/or trunk multiple calls on one account.

If you are willing to use an FXO card and connect it to the provider's locked
SIP adapter you can do so, but the extra analog translation has been known to
exacerbate echo problems.

BTW: If you are a low volume user, it seems to make more sense to go with one
of per-minute plans offering IAX connectivity.

Steve.