[Asterisk-Users] central voicemail with remote offices

William Suffill dedd at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 14:27:05 MST 2004

Darren,

To achieve voicemail on a central location I did the follow.

In a context I call

exten => _[1-5]XX,1,Macro(stdexten,${EXTEN})

So extensions 100-500 are all routed thru a macro unless previously
defined

macro-stdexten contains:

[macro-stdexten]

exten => s,1,DBget(caller=EXTEN/${ARG1})

exten => s,2,DBget(dnd=DND/${ARG1})

exten => s,3,Voicemail(u${ARG1})

exten => s,4,Hangup

exten => s,102,Macro(invalid)

exten => s,103,Dial(${caller},30,Tti)

exten => s,104,Voicemail(b${ARG1})

exten => s,105,Hangup

In words this is how it works:

User Dials 222

Check Database Family EXTEN Key 222 For an entry

If found store result in caller

Else invalid extension

Assuming the extension is still Valid

It checks the DB again for Family DND Key 222

If that is set it goes straight to voicemail unavailable

otherwise tries to dial Caller

If caller doesn't answer goes to voicemail on central server

Hangs Up

I just used the asterisk DB to pull this off

Some example entries are below

/DND/101 : YES

/EXTEN/10 : SIP/10

/EXTEN/101 : IAX2/wsuff

/EXTEN/500 : IAX2/wsuff

If my iax2 client dials the voicemail extensions on the central server
they can retrieve their messages as well. If you are using Asterisk
servers in the remote offices you could set extensions on the central
server to IAX2/remoteofficea/directuserextension

You could even set an extension on each office pbx to connect to the
office and interface w/ the voicemail

If you need any specific help feel free to contact me off the list.