[Asterisk-Users] NIC card failure [was: System freeze]

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Tue Feb 10 06:01:51 MST 2004

It is important to note that cheap nic cards that were really designed for
1% utilization on a workstation are not well suited for an Asterisk server
installation with any kind of VOIP traffic. We foolishly put a Realtek card
in a test server and after a month literally fried the NIC card, It was
extremely hot when we took it out after seeing thousands of network errors.
I would recommend a 3com 905CX NIC card, we have these in all of our
Asterisk servers and they function beautifully, and I have yet to hear of
one breaking down uder high traffic. Yes, they cost a lot more than your
average $4 Realtek card, you can pick them up new for about $20-$30.

MATT---