[Asterisk-Users] asterisk and fax over ip - concept

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Mon Feb 9 13:51:51 MST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:31:30PM +0100, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:

> Why exactly would hylafax be a "worst case" solution only, why would you
> tink that that the Asterisk solution is better at all?

The "worst case" would be the modem hairpinned into an FXS
port, not hylafax per se.

> >  Instead of a fax machine, the people could have a scanner
>
> Hmpf... I've always found that to be a very bad replacement for an analog
> fax, at least as soon as you have to deal with more than 1 page. Plain
> old analog fax machines are a very well designed devices...

I suppose you're right. Perhaps one of those unified
printer-copier-scanner things might be better, but the
models that will take multiple input pages start getting
expensive.

I guess it depends whether the people are doing more
print-to-fax sort of things or feeding the fax machine
with large amounts of paper...

-w

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign