[Asterisk-Users] System freeze

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Mon Feb 9 12:54:52 MST 2004

> Currently in progress of trying to debug similar
> problem on my own system.  Sometimes it happened
> during call transfers,  but this last time,
> it happened all by itself at 4:00 AM, no calls even
> close.  Complete system Freeze, Nothing at all
> workings, except the reset button.
>
> You setup is vastly different from mine to.
> Dual Pentium III  SMP, X100P  Dual TDM400P

We have a tracking bug, 963, for the system crash.  Things which seem to
be most commonly associated with a system freeze:

SMP
MMX
MeetMe
eepro100 or e1000 ethernet

I've been working with alexz on the SMP + MeetMe issues and believe we may
be nearing some closure there.  However on systems with more than one
card, I also have a potential fix which would essentially force
zt_receive() and zt_transmit() to only be called for a single span at a
time using the same bigzaplock that prevents you from changing
conferencing during the major conferencing chunk of code (as well as
opening/closing channels).  If you have a problem like this, please try to
follow bug 963 and try to get at the heart of what causes it.

Remember that for there to be any valuable information in the backtrace,
you will have to take the results of the panic and feed them into
ksymoops.  Thanks!

Mark