[Asterisk-Users] dialout redunancy.

Matthew B Marlowe matthew at mmarlowe.com
Sun Feb 8 15:44:59 MST 2004

Dialout redundancy using this method works perfect.  I've been using this method for some time now.  I currently have two IAX2 providers and plan to get another backup as well (In addition to me getting my Digium cards tomorrow that'll be another backup.)

That's great for outgoing calls, but... I'm trying to figure out the best approach to use for incoming calls.

I currently have a VP phone number, it's the only incoming number I have for the other voip providers I have don't offer local termination (or any at all for that matter).

We have a POTS line from Verizon and we'd like to continue using that phone number.

Originally we were just going to forward that phone number to VP.  But what happens if VP goes down?  I figure in that case (and we'd have to get in touch with VP if they will forward to another number if they're done), to then forward to another voip / pots line that we have.

Is there any other approach we can use to do this?

Possibly, a service that'll offer something like:

Transfer to 1609xxxxxxx but if busy, forward to 1609xxxxxxx, etc. and so on?

In addition does anyone know where I might be able to port my number to that supports transferring instead of forwarding?

I currently have Verizon and they said we need a CustoFlex plan which will only support 6 "forwards" so if 7 callers call in, the 7th will get a busy signal.