[Asterisk-Users] is it possible to turn auto answer off and on in the dialplan?

Jeff Roberts listbox at adamsbrothers.com
Fri Feb 6 13:58:24 MST 2004

Is it possible to turn auto answer for the console off and on in the dialplan?  If so would someone be so kind as to post a short example.

I'd like to use the same sound card for external ringing over the paging system that I'm using for overhead paging.  So my idea was to put the console in the group of phones to ring when a call comes in, which would ring over the speakers. But I'd like to keep being able to do over head paging by dialing an extension.

I'd to have autoanswer=no in alsa.conf, and do something like

; overhead paging
exten => 4600,1,SetMusicOnHold(silence)
exten => 4600,2,SetAutoAnswerOff(CONSOLE/dsp)
exten => 4600,3,Dial(CONSOLE/dsp)
exten => 4600,4,Hangup

instead of what i have now:

; overhead paging
exten => 4600,1,SetMusicOnHold(silence)
exten => 4600,2,Dial(CONSOLE/dsp)
exten => 4600,3,Hangup

Otherwise, I'd need to add another soundcard as console2 and run both outputs into the input of the paging system, correct?

Thanks ahead,

Jeff