[Asterisk-Users] Silencing Background App during touch tone detection

Mark Farver mfarver at ticom.com
Fri Feb 6 12:06:51 MST 2004

We're still have problems with the outgoing voice message interfering
with the touch tone detection.  Often the first touch tone pressed will
be detected twice.  If I configure asterisk to not play the message, or
if people wait till the outgoing message stops, it works flawlessly.

I've noticed that many phone system silence the outgoing message once
you start pressing buttons, is there anyway to configure asterisk to do
the same?

My C skills are non-existent, but the touch tone detection code in the
zaptel libraries appears to work this way (apologies for basic like
syntax):

start:
Wait for tone detected
waiting:
wait ~250ms
still hearing tone?
  Yes, goto waiting
  No.. Add that tone to the queue, goto start

In the above a short dropout that falls exactly on one of the 250ms
checks would be detected as a break, even is it was only a few ms long.

In my experience TT detection system work more like this, require a
minimum length of silence/no Touch tone (100-250ms) before advancing to
detecting the next number:

start:
wait for tone detected

waiting:
wait 250ms
still hearing tone?
  Yes, goto waiting
  No..
    wait 100-250ms,
    Still no tone?
	yes,  add current tone to queue and goto start
        no, ignore silence, and goto waiting

Thanks
Mark Farver