[Asterisk-Users] Voiceglo questions

Michael Swan swan at neon.com
Thu Feb 5 15:23:43 MST 2004

Hi,

We're just about to bring up Asterisk in a small business setting
with a broadband carrier. In this case, we have no reason to have
any POTS lines to make incoming and outgoing calls using our
SIP phones (Cisco 7960, 7940 and Grandstream 102.) We're
probably selecting Voiceglo simply because we can transfer our
existing local lines from an area code they handle (925).

We've talked to a *lot* of broadband carriers, all of whom are
stunningly unable to answer our basic questions about our
proposed architecture. The one notable exception to this is
Nufone which, unfortunately, doesn't service our local area code.

A couple of questions for Voiceglo/Asterisk users:

1. Can someone confirm whether Voiceglo needs to use SIP or
can it handle IAX? This link seems to indicate it uses SIP:
http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg20561.html
although other messages on the mailing list indicate that
Voiceglo is using Asterisk in its internal architecture.

2. Voiceglo's "support" keeps telling us we need to purchase an
MTA (Multimedia Terminal Adapter), essentially an analog to digital
box, described here: http://www.voiceglo.com/pages/Products_equipment.html
Since we're using SIP phones and Asterisk, we have no need for this,
right?

3. Any words of warning or praise from clients of Voiceglo?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Michael Swan
Neon Software, Inc.