[Asterisk-Users] Re: Boards falling out...

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 5 09:57:07 MST 2004

Ejay Hire wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Low Temp Hot glue is what I use on my robots.
> Stay away from silicone (conductive) and rtv (peels traces
> off cheap pcb's)

The only silicones that are electrically conductive are those that are
loaded with some conductive material (like silver). These are rather
esoteric and it is very unlikely that you would encounter them. On the
other hand, many silicones are rather thermally conductive.  Perhaps
this is the source of this misconception.  Also, Room Temperature
Vulcanizing Silicones (RTV's) are, also, well, obviously, silicones. If
removed with care, they should not lift traces, although, again
obviously, too heavy a hand will remove traces from paper-phenolic
(those brown ugly things) circuit boards. It would be really hard to
lift them from epoxy-glass material (usually green).

Nevertheless, hot melt glue is a fine choice. It hardens quickly, is
easy to apply and is electrically and chemically inert.

Stephen R. Besch