[OT] South african laws - was [Asterisk-Users] iax2 jitter buffer help

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 5 05:35:15 MST 2004

Chris Lee wrote:

> On the subject of South Africa
> What are the laws regarding using the Internet to carry telephone
> traffic?

Its 100% against the law, Telcom have the monopoly there still that
requires ALL voice trafic to go via the Telcom network.. The Mobile
phone operators there are in constant battles with them to tru and ease
this so they can do some leased cost routing but they are not getting
very far..

> What are the laws regarding connecting digium kit to Telkom equipment?

It should be fine, AFAIK they relaxed the rules about connecting third
party equipment to their network a few years ago..

> As I recall they are quite restrictive, have they been eased up a bit?

Nope, and I don't see that they plan to ease up at all any time soon..
Which is why we scrapped the plans we had for setting up some of our
facilities there.. We even had meetings with the DTI to see if they
could put pressure on Telkom but seeing as the govenment own a majority
share holding in Telkom why would they want to..

Later..