[Asterisk-Users] The Evil of type=friend explained, again (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Minor Registration Problem With Polycom Soun dpoint IP 500)

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Thu Feb 5 04:50:19 MST 2004

David Liu wrote:

>Could you tell us a little bit how exactly it works?  The wiki pages don't
>say much about type=friend, user, and peer.  I tried using type=user but
>can't seem to register.

A type=friend is simply both a type=user and type=peer using the same
set of config directives. While a type=friend makes things almost
trivial to get calls working in both directions, it will limit the
flexibility of your config and even hinder some of the more advanced
uses of Asterisk.

For example: Say you want to use the same 'user' across many different
Asterisk boxes, which of course will have different IP addresses. In
this situation, you cannot have a host keyword in your Asterisk config
stanza for the type=user, but the type=peer requires some host keyword.
Thus, if you use a type=friend you will limit the use of that one
username to whatever IP address is contained in the host keyword.

You only need to register to Asterisk if you have a dynamic IP address
or you need to blow thru a firewall/NAT device. To register you need to
have a type=peer with a host=dynamic. Since in your type=friend config
directive you had host=some.ip.address, while this may be this is fine
to for the type=user, this same value also gets used for the type=peer,
which makes it so you cannot register since the IP address is hard coded.

So, either you do not need to register and things will Just Work(tm) or
you will need to use separate type=user and type=peer config directives.

I smell the beginnings of a Whitepaper here.

Jeremy McNamara