[Asterisk-Users] Code Hosting...

Wed Feb 4 18:26:31 MST 2004

asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com <> wrote:
> I think what they're trying to do is set up a place where
> digium doesn't
> hold the keys, so that anyone can develop & add code. (sort of like
> sourceforge, but noting that this may have non-gpl stuff in it)

I built and have maintained the Big Brother website (www.deadcat.net)
for the last ... Long time (at least 7 or 8 years).

It was originally just an FTP archive, and then grew into a website
indexed website, before it's current incarnation. I did this for no
reward or anything else, just because it was something that was needed.
Currently, there are almost 600 contributed files/scripts/patches etc.

I am in the process of copying this across to a new website, which will
be dedicated to asterisk. For some time I have been thinking about this,
but yet avoiding it because I don't like having a million websites all
with a small portion of the (docs|patches|code|etc) nor do I want to be
making yet another forum (YAF).

So, Probably in the next day or so, I will put this online and let the
list know. More specifically for those people who write the code, would
you be interested in using this system?

Advantages:
* It gives the users a single place to look for your stuff
* You can decide what license it is released under
* You can update/remove/change any of the details at any time
* No pre-requisites for your contribution etc, you can put up anything
you like (as long as it is asterisk related)
* Provides feedback to you on the number of people interested in your
contribution (# Downloads)
* Provides feedback to you on what people think of it (votes)

Dis-Advantages:
* Requires registration to upload files (ONLY, no registration for
download). Though this is quick, automated, and is mainly to make it
possible for you to make updates/maintain the files
* Those people behind the .mil filrewalls can't access the site

Any feedback/addition to the above would make for interesting reading...

Regards,
Adam

 --
Adam Goryachev