[Asterisk-Users] CALEA?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 4 14:39:43 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 15:24, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 01:26, Ryan Finnesey wrote:
> > What are my support options for CALEA with Asterisk?
>
> Not many.  Basically, if you have Zaptel devices, you can use
> ZapBarge to listen to those conversations without having to
> physically tap the lines.  Beyond that, there isn't a capability
> to selectively listen to portions of calls.  You could choose to
> record all calls with Monitor, for example.
>
> IANAL, but this seems like a legal grey area, as the FCC has
> been pushing against regulating VoIP services, which may mean
> that VoIP services are not legally considered communication, which
> would exclude them from CALEA.  However, this is for lawyers to
> argue in court and for a judge to decide.

>From what I remember reading, Powell doesn't want to regulate VoIP to
VoIP as it is just an application which happens to pass audio data. He
may well have to step in for PSTN to VoIP as the PSTN part is without a
doubt a telephone call. Of course the only people who really need to
worry much about that would be those considered as a CLEC right? The
majority of us here are acting as PBX operators and aren't required to
intercept.