[Asterisk-Users] VOIP Deployment Concerns

William Suffill dedd at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 22:38:37 MST 2004

Before I got into my question for the day I'd like to applaud all the
helpful folks and time spent behind the asterisk project to get it where
it is today. Great work and between this list, the doc list and the irc
channel it's been a pleasure to deal with people willing to help others
when and if they can.

I will be moving in a few months and I'm concerned as to what kind of
bandwidth I would need to work effectively. The reason I posed the
question here is simple most of my work is remote SSH to various
BSD/Linux machines but a majority of my business calls from the office
and clients will be routed through Asterisk. Currently I use a SIP phone
to my local * then IAX2 w/ 2 providers mentioned on this list.
Unfortunately quality begins to suffer based on the amount of upstream
used by the other users here. Comcast only has a 256 upstream on it's
basic package. I've read the IAX2 Trunking Comparisions from John Todd.

Where I'll be moving will more than likely be installing broadband from
Adelphia Cable 256up 3mbit down unless I have a valid reason to require
the 512up/4mbit down prem. package at approximately 80 a month. I don't
have any personal experience with them since I do live in NJ and will be
relocating to FL. Any advise would greatly appreciated.

1 last thing without starting a flame war who on this list sells the
Grandstream BudgetTone's. Yes I know there are probably better options
but I need to keep costs down for internal and personal deployments
where some other options would be overkill.

Sincerely,
William Suffill