[Asterisk-Users] Detecting answer supervison from an AGI app

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Feb 3 21:15:59 MST 2004

>I've got a dumb Western Electric payphone and some homebuilt
>hardware to control the coin relay which is accessible to Asterisk
>through the AGI interface. I'd like to be able to set the state of
>the coin relay to collect at the end of a call if a called party
>answers.
>
>[Hey, I admit this project is being persued just for the fun of it ]
>
>Looking through the documentation, there is a way to get channel
>state, but it only tells you that the channel is
>bridged and does not tell you the called party has answered.
>
>Is there another interface (unix sockets maybe?) which I can
>use to query the answer supervison state for a given channel?
>
>Steve.

You can use the manager interface.  See the Wiki or various "how-to"
guides scattered across the four corners of Google.  You'll only be
able to detect answer supervision with PRI or VoIP calls outbound -
FXO circuits have no answer supervision.

I'm interested in your payphone application; I was given a payphone
for the holidays, and I'd like to semi-gut it and put an ATA type
device in there and an 802.11 adapter.  Feed it 110VAC and point a
yagi at it from a few miles away.  For that matter, ten or fifteen of
them.  This is one of those spare-time projects that I've been
intentionally ignoring, because I'll quickly become distracted with
trying to build a company that does wireless payphones via IP.  I
have the business plan mostly written in my head already.  <sigh>

I assume mine generates coin tones; it would be pretty snappy if *
could detect those tones and do something with them when detected
in-band in the audio stream.  I don't know how the payphones would
normally squelch these tones from being replayed into the phones;
that would be an interesting thing to dig around inside the phone to
find out about (in my free time!) because I know that playback of
tones became impossible in the mid 80's due to squelching locally on
the phones.  I like the novelty of a VoIP phone that collects coins -
I'm suspicious of this whole "pre-paid" thing.  ;-)

Yet Another Application That Needs Audio Processing After Dial (YAATNAPAD)...

JT