[Asterisk-Users] Norstar Integration with Asterisk via FXO or BRI ISDN

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Feb 2 19:25:36 MST 2004

At 10:59 PM +1000 2/2/04, Christopher Lee wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a legacy Norstar system that I'm looking into integrating with my
>Asterisk setup.
>[snip]
>
>However in the opposite direction, Norstar -> SIP, the problem begins,
>thanks to no disconnect supervision/provision on the FXS port from the
>Norstar, so the X100P doesn't know the Norstar caller has hangup.
>
>A thought that occurred was perhaps Asterisk could do some sort of "soft"
>disconnect supervision? So when the FXO card has seized the line, but there
>is no transmit/receive audio (or no major variation from the standard
>background radiation) then after a safe timeout of say a minute or two, it
>could disconnect the line? I'd be interested to hear others views on this,
>would it work (or does it already exist?).
>[snip]
>Cheers,
>Chris Lee

No, though there has been some discussion about similar problems with
disconnect supervision with SIP.  Of course, the SIP disconnect
supervision is packet-based (where there has been no reinvite) and
your problem is audio-based; it's the same method, though - check to
see if there is activity on the session in the TX or RX direction,
and if no activity crossing threshold Y for more than N seconds, hang
up.

See http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000207  for more
discussion.

I think this is pretty reasonable, actually.  We have such a system
in voicemail - if there is silence at the end of a message, the
system hangs up and rewinds the VM recording to the last spike in
audio energy.  You will get people yelping at you about how this
breaks conference calling, or maybe it breaks prank calling.  My
answer to this is that it should be a selectable switch/values on the
Dial.  app_dial sure is getting crowded with ideas, but is still
pretty lean on features.

Anyone feel like a) programming this or b) funding it?

JT