[Asterisk-Users] Re: Question on setting up asterisk with hunting lines

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 2 10:18:52 MST 2004

samuel.au.gt at elitecorp.com wrote:

> *My apologies if this message is posted 3 times, I was trying to sent it to
> the list once before I am a list-member, the second time before I was
> approved.
>
> Can anyone point me to some resources on using hunting lines with Asterisk?
> Sales support of my telco have no idea what I am trying to do.   They asked
> what pbx system I am using, I was like Aster... never mind =)
>
> I am trying to setup asterisk to take in 5 hunting lines.
> Where one phone number would get published as our companies main IVR entry
> point, and the calls will get distributed into the Asterisk system internal
> extensions via the 5 available hunting lines.
> I am lost here.
> When a customer dials the main number, does it (A) get call transferred to
> an available channel by a dial plan with asterisk, or  (B) the telco
> automatically checks to see if the main number is busy and transfer to the
> next hunting line?

On incoming, telco does the hunt and rings an open line. You need 5
FXO's to handle the lines. Then set them up in a group. I use an ADTRAN
channel bank with a digium T1 card and have the following in
\etc\asterisk\zapata.conf, for 5 lines:

    [channels]
	:
	:
	context=default		; or whatever
	:
	:
	signalling=fxs_ks
	group=1
	channel => 1-5				;Group1

The fxs-ks is not a mistake. When you talk to an fxo (central office
line), you have to look like an fxs (a telephone). These five lines will
then drop into the default context in your dialplan. For a channel bank,
you also have to define the T1 channel assignments in \etc\zaptel.conf.
  Again, in my case:

	fxsks=1-5
	fxoks=6-24

You will have to adjust these for your hardware and mapping assignments.

For outgoing hunting, just use group1 in your dial statements, like this:

    [globals]
	PSTNTRUNK=Zap/g1	;I do this for convenience/flexibility

    [some context or other]
	exten => _pattern,1,Dial(${PSTNTRUNK}/${EXTEN})