[Asterisk-Users] Dial via sip gateway?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Feb 2 06:24:19 MST 2004

That makes a lot of sense. It would appear the Mediatrix marketing target
was for the 1104 (FXS) and 1204 (FXO) to be used in pairs as a toll bypass
mechanism across the Internet (mostly in a standalone form without a sip
proxy). That is exactly how their extensive documentation is written as well.

Looking at it from that perspective, the originating end (1104 fxs) is
where we'd place the 'register' function if we were designing the product,
and the 1204-fxo is just considered "a bunch of pstn CO lines" that ordinarily
would not need the register function (that it doesn't have it now).

Given the software authors probably shared common libraries across the two
products, it also suggests why the 1204 has the snmp mib variables for
entering the username:password on a per-port basis even though they do
nothing with them today.

If they can get the 1204 enhanced a little more and drop the retail price by
a little, looks like it would make a good 4-port pstn box that really isn't
addressed very well in the market today.

Rich