[Asterisk-Users] Dial via sip gateway?

Grzegorz Nosek blackfire at metal.art.pl
Sun Feb 1 14:10:37 MST 2004

On Sun,  1 Feb 2004 08:21:55 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote

[long snip]

> No, the manual is very verbose but no * examples at all. The
> box sells as either a 323 or sip, with different images
> (sort of like C7960's) and different manuals.
>
> The box does not support the "register" function in either
> direction. I just tried the * sip register, and got a "501
> Not Implemented" with sniffer.
>
> From what I can tell (box is about 48 hrs old for me), it
> seems to be a rather incomplete or just-bare-sip-minimum
> functionality. It also appears as though all four ports are
> treated as a group-of-lines, and one doesn't have any choice
> (from a sip perspective) on which port to use for outgoing
> calls. Since this one is set up with 1:home, 2:business,
> 3:outgoing calls I really need to be able to select which
> port * is going to use, particularly since outgoing 'home'
> long distance calls must use a different port then for
> outgoing 'business' calls.

I have an idea of a crude hack that just might work - e.g. if you need
to dial a number on line 3, first make two outgoing calls to a bogus
number (just to keep the lines busy for a second) and then place the
3rd call to the destination you want - if I understand the situation
correctly, the 1204 should dial on the 3rd line then and the first two
calls should drop quickly (no such number). Of course, in that case
you need to keep the line state e.g. in the DB so that, say, line 1 in
use doesn't mess things up.

Yes, I know it's ugly. If it's also bound not to work, I'm all ears as
to *why* :)

> The entire box (4 ports) has only a single IP, so if the
> dial sip command doesn't have any additional
> parameters/strings to destinguish selected ports, guess I'll
> return it to the reseller. There appears to be a way to set certain
> types of filters on a per port basis in the box, but I can't
> see how that could be used to differentiate home vs business
> calls, etc.
>
> Since I don't know anything about 323, does that control
> protocol allow some sort of sub-selection where each port
> would be addressable? If not, it certainly seems as though
> Mediatrix needs to go back to work on their code or something.
>
> Can you think of any other way that * might interact with
> this thing via sip?
>
> Rich

Regards,
 Greg