[Asterisk-Users] Dial via sip gateway?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sun Feb 1 14:00:49 MST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Rich Adamson wrote:
> I don't believe the above will work. There is only one IP address for
> the box, and no way that I've found to send a sip packet to the box with
> "additional" information that would suggest using port 1 vs port 2. From
> what others have hinted at (and it seems the majority of us are limited
> either to what's printed or experimentation), the 1204 has an internal
> function that kind of resembles a trunk group. "It" decides which port
> to use.
>
> As mentioned previously, the sip "register" function in the box is inop
> in both directions, therefore there does not seem to be a way to address
> the ports through contexts or anything else. Mediatrix has provided the
> mib variables where one can enter a different password for each port,
> but that has no value either since the register function doesn't work.

What happens if you don't use a register => line in sip.conf, but do
include a section like:
[mediatrixport1]
username=
password=
host=

Just to check my theory, I did some testing via fwd. I discovered that if
I include a register => line with my fwd info, then when I call my fwd
number (outbound through iaxtel) it rings in. But I can't call out via
fwd. So then I put in my [fwd] service definition, removed the register
line, and waited for the old registration to expire.  Then I tried calling
my fwd number (again through iaxtel). This time I got the message about
the user being offline. But now I can call out via fwd, even though calls
wouldn't come in. This demonstrates that the [fwd] section is used by
Dial() when I try to place a call out through that service, and that the
register line isn't needed for the outbound call.

Somebody mentioned that the mediatrix lets you set a unique
username/password for each of its ports. It seems that you could set up
four service definitions, each using a different user/pwd pair. Then *
will use a different user/pwd pair to log in to the mediatrix, depending
upon which service definition was called for by the Dial() statement.

Or does the mediatrix not really have a distinct user/pwd pair for
accessing each port?

Greg