[Asterisk-Users] SUBSCRIBE in chan_sip - anyone?

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 1 12:07:20 MST 2004

I haven't taken the time to reverse engineer this on * but subscribe is
used in SIP for serveral things:
1. Message Waiting Indicator (MWI).  Asterisk seems to send out a NOTIFY
even with no SUBSCRIBE
    though. :)
2. SIMPLE (SIP Instant Message & Presence Leverage Extensions).  The
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY is
   used for the "presence" portion of this.  The Windows Messenger and
MSN Messenger 4.6/4.7 support
   a pseudo-standard form of this.  We use this our development for
"phone" presence/status and for
   attendant console.  It is pretty cool but there are scalability issues.