[Asterisk-Users] Re: FXO to IAX on ethernet. or FXO to SIP on Ethernet

Matthew Donald matthew.donald at motile.net
Fri Dec 31 09:16:58 MST 2004

There are two different approaches available:

1. Hardware

What you want is a remote SIP gateway.  These are boxes which have
FXS/FXO/E&M ports in some combination on one side and and an ethernet port
on the other.  Most of these boxes were originally designed to run H.323 and
had SIP firmware added at a later stage.

An example is http://www.ovislink.com.tw/voip400.htm.

Ovislink have 4 and 8 port units.  Each takes a 4-port (or two 4-port units
for the 8 port model) adapters.  These can be either four FXS or four FXO or
four E&M adapters.

Ovislink also have a 2-port model http://www.ovislink.com.tw/voip220rs.htm
which seems to have better SIP support.

These boxes were originally designed to run H.323.  Since SIP has become
popular Ovislink added a SIP frontend component to their firmware.  This has
the effect that you have to configure *both* the H.323 component *and* the
SIP component to get the box going.  It does work, but it can be a pain to
configure (try reading the fairly comprhensive manual two or three time and
then having two or three goes at it before it all works). Read the user
manual (http://www.ovislinkcorp.com/Manuals/VoIP800-400%20manual.pdf), the
separate SIP guide (http://www.ovislinkcorp.com/Manuals/SIP_Guide.pdf) and
the VOIP command reference
(http://www.ovislinkcorp.com/Manuals/VoIPReference.pdf) to figure out
whether they do what you want.

These boxes can be rediculously cheap on occasion.  I've seen new Ovislink
8-port gateways on eBay for US$200-300 form time to time.  Otherwise, I
believe that they have distributors in the US/Europe/Australia.

The main problem with using the Ovislink gateways is making sure that they
have the correct approvals.  For instance I found that I couldn't use one
here in Australia because they lack A-tick approval (and I'm not about to
spend the $50K needed to get them tested).  They *appear* to have FCC and CE
approval, but they would not be the first manufacturer to print approval
numbers on the case when the approvals did not actually exist.  I'd check
before I'd use one - using non type-approved equipment can attract very
large fines.

In general, these boxes are reasonably reliable, or at least reliable as say
an ADSL modem/router.  If the location was really remote you could place a
second box at the loaction and a PSTN switch to switch the lines.  Hopefully
there would be someone on the premises who could unplug the PSTN line from
box-A and connect them to box-B if necessary.

2.  Telco/Service Provider

I don't use the Ovislink box myself, although I did evaluate them.  After I
hit the lack of approvals roadblock I mention above, I took a very different
and much simpler approach.

I found a telco who would do call collection for me.  They had Cisco routers
in each telephone district in Australia.  Incoming calls on my numbers were
sent to their routers which sent them directly to my gateway.

Now admittedly this was for a much larger application than you are talking
about (60 "lines" - actually telephone numbers) are involved.  The biggest
problem was that the telco would only deliver the calls using H.323 (since
most business PABX's use H.323 rather than SIP), so I had to build a
H.32-to-SIP gateway using asterisk (which was a pain to get going -
asterisk's H.323 support is ideosyncratic).

On one hand the telco approach was cheaper (a monthly charge rather than
having to buy and house a number of routers).  On the other hand it is an
ongoing charge.  From memory, the hardware cost represented about 30-40
months of telco charges.

The compelling reasons for choosing the telco approach are (a) simplicity -
its a lot simpler to have one gateway rather than a number of different PSTN
gateways in remote locations; (b) reliability - the telco has around $175M
is Cisco kit, if something breaks they have a redundent backup standing by.

I hope this gives you a few pointers.

regards
Matthew