[Asterisk-Users] Helping communications to Asia area.

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Thu Dec 30 21:34:48 MST 2004

On 30/12/2004 23:18 Jason p said the following:
> As a community is there anything we can do to help with communications
> to the Tsunami  area ? we all sit on top of a welth of knowledge on
> communications can we use this to help these area's in any way?  IE
> free sip calls , maybe there are * users in the area that we can send
> US calls to ?

that's a very decent thought, jason. i've been in touch with some relief
orgs here. malaysia is not as badly hit as indonesia and sri lanka. this
may sound crass, but we've had only 60+ deaths as opposed to the tens of
thousands in those two countries.

from what i gather from the relief orgs, communications is a problem in
phuket and galle, sri lanka. the incumbent telcos circuits are fully
utilized and congested making it difficult to make calls out/in of the
affected areas. as both areas have had good mobile coverage, the
infrastructure is still operational, just congested.

for those offering minutes into the US/Canada/Europe, that may be a help if
we could assist in alleviating the congestion. a lot of the congestion is
due to tourists trying to call out to their families in US/Can/Eur and
families from home trying to reach missing/surviving people in the affected
regions. phuket probably has a high number of these people, given that it's
a favourite tourist destination for many.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/