[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Dec 30 08:29:43 MST 2004

Only for small deployments? How do you interface with your fax machines?
analog alarm systems? pc modems?

All of my "large" deployments require one or more of these elements, and
one that I am currently working on is a MAX TNT - SER - * implemetation
with 12 PRIs over a DS3 to the MAX TNT. Sure is a shame that I have to
run 6 analog lines to the building because * can not provide analog TDM
interfaces.

I realize I could use a channel bank, but keep in mind, we have a DS3
coming in, so a channle bank would require demux of a DS1, and then
demux to DS0 on a channel bank, and ebay pricing not withstanding, that
costs a boatload of money. Problem with ebay gear is you have to buy two
of everything to be safe (not to say we do not do it, TNTs are still
cheaper on ebay even if you have to buy 3 to be safe).

My point is that your assumption that only linux boxes will run for more
than 30 days is opinionated and wrong. Any PC platform is only as stable
as the sum of what you run on it, put a single analog interface in a red
hat ES on $10,000 worth of hardware and you will have to reboot every 3
days. Run only stable software on a Linux OR Microsoft Server and uptime
is not an issue unless you have a need to load every patch that ip put
out, in which case both platforms typically require more frequent
restarts. A better solution, use a good firewall and load patches less
frequently.

Your boxes have better uptime because of competent and educated
decisions you have made (yes that is a compliment, you appear to be
brilliant) when implementing them, like not installing known buggy
interfaces. My MS boxes have similar uptime for the same reason. I see
the value and need for both platforms on a daily basis.

I realize several of my replies to you have been opinionated, but you
frequently show your bias as well. In the end I respect your experience
with * and have learned a few things from your posts after I filter the
opinions out.

With all due respect,

Damon